One of the most important things you can do in your small group is set a vision. A vision helps to ensure you are moving forward. Church small groups are either moving forwards or moving backwards. They cannot stand still!
A Vision is Clarity of Purpose
It is great that church small groups get together and enjoy good food and great conversations. But they must be about much more than that! A vision can bring clarity to the purpose of meeting together every week.
In Isaiah 55:12-13, God sets out a clear vision for his people in exile:
The mountains and hills will burst into song,
and the trees of the field will clap their hands!
Where once there were thorns, cypress trees will grow.
Where nettles grew, myrtles will sprout up.
These events will bring great honor to the Lord’s name;
This vision moved God’s people forward. They knew God’s purpose for them. They knew what he had promised to accomplish for and through them. One day, they would return home and experience joy and peace once more.
Church Small Groups Vision is Unifying and Inspiring
Where church small groups have a vision it can have a unifying and inspiring effect. Suddenly, meeting together is about more than eating and chatting. There are many different types of small groups in churches. Whether your vision for church small groups is that members would know each other more deeply, or would depend on the Lord in more prayer, or meet God more faithfully through his Word, suddenly you will know why it’s so important to be committed to and invested in your small group.
If you’re in a small group, then why not think carefully and prayerfully about why you meet. If you’re not yet in a small group, then I encourage you to get together with some friends and ask God to help you develop a vision for what he wants to accomplish through you.
Think It Over
Think through the following:
- Why might clarifying a small group’s vision help them to experience more of God’s grace?
Click on the link – https://linktr.ee/battlefieldresources – to listen, watch or subscribe to this podcast.
This Week’s Battle Drill Devotionals
- Monday 24 July – Why are Small Groups Important in The Salvation Army?
- Tuesday 25 July – Never Doubt What a Small Group Can Do with a Boundless God
- Wednesday 26 July – How To Set An Exciting Vision For Church Small Groups
- Thursday 27 July – Small Group Prayer Warriors: The Best in Tough Times
- Friday 28 July – Finding Genuine Christian Encouragement in Small Groups
- How Small Groups Help Us Grow in Faith
- Small Groups, Big Difference
- Accepting God’s Grace: The Most Important Thing You Will Ever Do
- How To Break Free From Sin, Once and For All
- The Power to Change: The Freedom You Desperately Need
Please Consider Leaving Your Feedback
Did you know you can now give each post and podcast episode on my website a star rating?
I value your feedback about what I am writing and teaching, so I can improve and try to give you content that will better nourish, challenge, and equip you for your Christian journey.
All you have to do is click on the star rating below.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?