Are you overwhelmed by email? Good office email etiquette can help us be more effective and productive. This is part eight of an eight-part series on how to manage your email inbox.
Table of Contents
Office Email Etiquette: Think About Whether to Send an Email
Email is so integral to our communication these days, we often use it without thinking. But good office email etiquette includes forcing yourself to think about whether email is the best way of communicating in each situation. Here are some examples:
- Don’t use email to schedule a meeting. It often means a shed load of emails going back and forth until the attendees settle on a date everyone can attend. If it’s a meeting with one or two people, pick up the phone. If it’s a group of people, consider using an app like Doodle.
- If the subject needs a full (and let’s face it, long-winded) explanation, then pick up the phone or see the person face to face.
- If it’s urgent, use the phone.
- If it’s banter or interactive, use instant messaging.
- Is it a serious issue? Deal with these face to face (or by phone if the person is unwilling to meet).
- Are you sending positive feedback? A handwritten note will be more special to the recipient.
I am passionate about leaders (especially spiritual leaders) being as productive and effective as possible. Your ministry will have all the more impact if you can deal with administration efficiently and effectively. Good office email etiquette is important. So now you have some principles to help decide when and if to send an email, why not trying cutting down your email traffic today?
Please Consider Leaving Your Feedback
Did you know you can now give each post and podcast episode on my website a star rating?
I value your feedback about what I am writing and teaching, so I can improve and try to give you content that will better nourish, challenge, and equip you for your Christian journey.
All you have to do is click on the star rating below.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?