Discover the significance of fasting in focused prayer. Strengthen your connection with God through this powerful spiritual practice.
Table of Contents
Daniel wanted to show God he was taking his prayers seriously in bringing his crisis to him. So, he did three things: he fasted, he wore rough clothes and he sprinkled himself with ashes.
Fasting for Focused Prayer
These days, we’re unlikely to sprinkle ourselves with ashes when we find ourselves in a crisis. We’re not likely to put rough clothes on either, although those of us climbing into Salvation Army uniform on a Sunday might beg to differ! But many Christians today do fast when they are praying seriously about something.
Fasting from food is an important spiritual discipline when it comes to prayer. Jesus once said that certain crises can only be overcome by fasting and prayer (Mark 9:29 TPT). Fasting tells God how serious we are about praying for help and guidance in our crisis.
Have You Tried Fasting for Focused Prayer?
Fasting can help focused prayer, especially in times of crisis. Have you ever fasted whilst you prayed to God about something?
Think It Over
Think about the following:
- Fasting doesn’t just have to be about food. Other things can distract us from serious prayer (for example, social media). What other things might you need to fast from in order to seriously focus on prayer?
Subscribe to the Podcast
There’s a new episode of Battle Drill Devotional every Monday through Friday.
This Week’s Battle Drill Devotionals
- Monday 18 September – Enhance Your Prayers in Times of Crisis: How to Pray and Listen to God’s Voice
- Tuesday 19 September – Turn Towards God Today: Focus on God and Not Your Problems
- Wednesday 20 September – Pour Out Your Heart to God in Prayer | Find Strength and Hope in Crisis
- Thursday 21 September – The Power of Fasting: Unlocking Spiritual Discipline for Focused Prayer
- Friday 22 September – How to Be Grateful to God for Everything | Trusting Him in Crisis
- Why It Is Important To Know Your Identity In Christ
- Happiness Begins with Gratitude: What Happens When People are Delighted
- God’s Beautiful Gift Of Grace: Does God Forgive All Sins?
- You Need to Focus on Jesus not the Storm
- The Truth About Really Needing a Sabbath Rest from Work
Please Consider Leaving Your Feedback
Did you know you can now give each post and podcast episode on my website a star rating?
I value your feedback about what I am writing and teaching, so I can improve and try to give you content that will better nourish, challenge, and equip you for your Christian journey.
All you have to do is click on the star rating below.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?